Reduce, Renew, Balance
Green power and carbon balancing commitments need to be complemented with energy reduction and efficiency initiatives, and integrated into a comprehensive strategy to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions.
To accomplish this, 3Degrees encourages its partners to adopt the World Resources Institute’s Greenhouse Gas Protocol when preparing a greenhouse gas emissions inventory.
The World Resource Institute (WRI) recommends that organizations inventory their Scope 1, Scope 2 and Scope 3 greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
- Scope 1: Direct GHG emissions that occur from sources owned or controlled by the organization, such as emissions from combustion in boilers, furnaces, vehicles, and other assets owned or controlled by the organization.
- Scope 2: GHG emissions from the generation of purchased electricity consumed by the organization. Scope 2 emissions physically occur at the facility where electricity is generated.
- Scope 3: GHG emissions that are a consequence of the organization's activities but occur from sources not owned or controlled by the organization. For example, Scope 3 GHG emissions are those associated with the production of purchased goods, employee commercial flying, or the use of sold products.
Once an organization has calculated greenhouse gas emissions inventory and measured its electricity and other energy use, 3Degrees recommends its partners utilize a comprehensive Reduce Renew Balance approach to mitigating the environmental impact of their operations.
- Step 1: Reduce emissions as much as possible through energy efficiency and conservation.
- Step 2: Switch to renewable energy through onsite generation or Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs)
- Step 3: Balance out remaining emissions using third-party verified carbon offsets.