3Degrees Secures 2011 Renewable Energy Certificate Market Triple Crown
Earns Top REC Market Rankings from Environmental Finance and Energy Risk, and Receives Fifth-straight U.S. DOE Non-Utility Green Power Supplier of the Year Award
SAN FRANCISCO, December 20, 2011—3Degrees announced today that it has secured the 2011 Renewable Energy Certificate (REC) Market “Triple Crown,” after having received the three most important honors awarded in 2011 to renewable energy sales, trading, and marketing firms.
On December 14, 2011, Environmental Finance named 3Degrees Best Trading Firm, Renewable Energy Certificates, North America in its 12th annual market survey. In early December, Energy Risk announced that it had ranked 3Degrees the top U.S. Renewable Energy Certificates Dealer in its 2011 environmental markets survey. In addition, at the Renewable Energy Markets Conference in November, the U.S. Department of Energy awarded 3Degrees its Green Power Leadership Award for Non-Utility Green Power Supplier of the Year.
“Since its founding, 3Degrees has dedicated itself to becoming the nation’s leading renewable energy certificate sales, trading, and marketing firm,” said Dan Kalafatas, CEO of 3Degrees. “Winning these three awards simultaneously is unique in our industry, confirming that our efforts are bearing fruit and that we are succeeding in helping our partners utilize renewable energy markets to build value for their stakeholders and society at large.”
Clear Industry Leadership
2011 marks the fifth straight year that 3Degrees has secured the Department of Energy Green Power Leadership Award. In addition, since 2008 3Degrees has secured either a #1 or #2 ranking in Environmental Finance’s Best Trading Firm, Renewable Energy Certificates survey category and Energy Risk’s U.S. Renewable Energy Certificates Dealer survey category.
3Degrees’ REC Market "Triple Crown” joins a long list of accomplishments for 3Degrees in 2011. Other notable 3Degrees 2011 accomplishments include:
- The Maine Public Utility Commission selecting 3Degrees to launch a new, voluntary statewide green power program in Maine.
- 3Degrees wining a competitive bidding process to become one of two green power suppliers to the CTCleanEnergyOptions program in Connecticut.
- Seattle City Light selecting to help it manage customer outreach for its Green Up green power program.
- Puget Sound Energy (PSE) renewing its green power program services contract with 3Degrees, after its current three-year partnership helped increase PSE’s Green Power Program’s participation rate by 50 percent.
- 3Degrees’ announcement that it and its partners will offer green power options to over 7.7 million residential and commercial utility customers in seven states in 2012, which represents growth of 2.5 million customers, or 48 percent, in 3Degrees’ utility voluntary program business since 2010.
- 3Degrees’ recognition as the first company in North America to secure the Climate Registered™ Silver designation for its commitment to sustainability.
- 3Degrees being named to the Inc. 500|5000 list of the nation’s fastest growing private companies for the second year in a row.
3Degrees' mission is to mitigate the effects of climate change by accelerating the low-carbon, renewable energy economy. 3Degrees realizes this mission by helping its utility, business, LEED green building, and other partners utilize environmental commodities to build stakeholder value. Through these partnerships, 3Degrees increases demand for Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) and carbon offsets, channels capital to renewable energy and carbon reduction projects, and improves the efficiency of environmental markets.
Winner of the U.S. Department of Energy's Green Power Leadership Award for five straight years, 3Degrees is headquartered in San Francisco, California, with regional operating centers located in Portland, Oregon; Seattle, Washington; Salt Lake City, Utah; St. Louis, Missouri; Richmond, Virginia; and New England. To learn more, visit www.3degreesinc.com.